Tuesday 28 August 2012

A Palindrome Dad is not the Same Thing as a Dad...

My therapist says my dad is a parasite, feeding off me. Even now. He fed off me all through my childhood... just fed and fed and fed and fed... never giving me anything good in return.


He gave me life but spent my entire childhood trying to suck it out of me... and now he doesn't have contact with me but he's still sucking.

I think people hate me and I think that I'm useless and stupid and a failure. Isn't a dad supposed to make their children feel like a human being who other people could actually like... someone who is valued for who they are and not just cast aside because they aren't the absolute best of the best of the best?

To him, I'm only worth something if it benefits him. I'm not worth anything for just being me. I don't remember a time when he was loving or kind. His 'love' was selfish. My heart and mind and body didn't matter. His 'kindness' was cruelty.

I was a non-person there to serve him and to take care of his responsibilities. What about his responsibilities?

I was was never allowed to be a child. I was never allowed to have feelings or thoughts or value.

If I cried I was punished. If I was upset I was ridiculed. If I was hurt I was humiliated. Isn't a dad supposed to comfort their child?

I tried so hard to be as good as I could possibly be. I tried to be quiet and polite and respectful and obedient and compliant. But I was only deserving of punishment, humiliation, pain and mind games. Isn't a dad supposed to make their child feel better?

I was terrified of him and tried so hard to do everything 'right'. But he enjoyed taking away my safety. Isn't a dad supposed to want their child to feel safe?


If a dad is supposed to be loving, kind, gentle, wanting to provide, wanting to keep you safe, wanting to protect you, wanting to help you be the best you can be and being proud of you and there for you no matter what...

And if my dad was cruel, cold, sadistic, self-seeking, dangerous, critical, condemning, humiliating, controlling, manipulative, mocking and constantly trying to break me...

... I guess he wasn't ever really a dad.

So why does my heart shatter every time I remember the truth of who he was/is? ...why does my everything hold onto him so tightly and not want to let go? Why do I still call him Daddy, when he's not even been a Dad? 


I don't want to disrespect him by saying these things, but they are the truth and the truth really really hurts right now... and I'm broken.


3 comments:

  1. Fantastic website, very moving and rings so true with me. I've read your website for a few months and wanted to leave a message to applaud you for sharing your feelings. It makes a difference to me, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I just wanted to say that I appreciate your blog very much - I, too, am a survivor of rape. I am also an activist. Please check out my personal blog about the movement I am attempting to create in hope to get men more involved with being the solution - instead of the problem.

    My blog: htttp://janishillard.blogspot.com

    Also check out my YouTube video about my project:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfST-g2J0Mw

    Much love,
    Janis
    P.S. Guilt is powerful. As survivors, we must change that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother was the narcissist. I get this. Society telling you who your parent has to be, the narcissist parent like being raised by a wolf or parasite. It's so very messed up. Haven't spoken to my mother in years and people will say "When are you going to talk to her?" "Never" is OK with me. I finally had a therapist who said "OK, that speaks volumes." I didn't have a mother. Just because someone participated in your creation and didn't murder you somewhere along the line is setting the bar way too low for parenthood.

    ReplyDelete

blog ping service